Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Front Door Knob / deadbolt
- Check that the door is properly aligned in the frame and not sagging. Realign door if needed.
- Make sure the latch plate is screwed in properly. Tighten screws if needed.
- Ensure the spindle and latch bolt are able to move freely and are lubricated. Use powdered graphite or spray lubricant.
- Remove knob and inspect interior components for wear, damage or loose parts. Replace any worn springs or pins.
- Verify the latch bolt is retracting fully when rotating knob. File edge if scraping against strike plate.
- Lightly sand any rough areas on the knob spindle or latch area. Lubricate with graphite powder or spray lubricant.
- Check that knob and deadbolt latch alignment is correct. Adjust screws if out of alignment.
- Inspect the strike plate on the door frame and make sure screws are tight. Tighten or replace if loose.
- Remove the door knob and inspect the interior mechanisms. Look for worn or broken parts and replace.
- Make sure screws holding knob assembly together are tight. Tighten with screwdriver if loose.
- For sticky or hard to turn knobs, remove knob and clean interior parts with soap and water. Fully dry and re-lubricate before replacing.