Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Water damage under the sink
- Turn off water supply lines and drain any standing water under sink.
- Remove all items from under sink and use towels to soak up excess water.
- Check for and repair any leaks from pipes, drain lines, or the faucet.
- Use fans and dehumidifier to fully dry area over 2-3 days.
- Unscrew, drain and clean the P-trap with a catch bucket. Clogged P-trap can exacerbate leaking plumbing. Renew PTFE tape in other plumbing joints in the problem area.
- Clean surfaces with hot soapy water and disinfectants if mold is present.
- Seal any cracks in sink basin using caulk to prevent leakage.
- Replace any water damaged cabinets, drawers, or flooring as needed.
- Install leak detection devices that shut off water if leak is detected.
- Routinely inspect under sink for any leaks, cracks, or moisture buildup.
- Keep sink cabinet clutter free and do not store any items directly on floor.