Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Water leaks inside the home
- Visually inspect the metal roof, looking for corrosion, cracks, or holes where water could be penetrating. Mark any problem areas.
- Use a hose to spray water on the roof and pinpoint where exactly it is leaking through. Have someone inside watch where water comes in.
- For small holes or cracks, clean and sand the area, then apply a metal patch sealant or roof sealant. Smooth to blend.
- For larger cracks or leaks, use a grinder to open the area into a wide V-shape. Apply sealant into the V-crack, then bolt a metal flashing piece over it.
- Check areas where sheets meet or overlap for separated seams. Use butyl sealant in between and add new fastener screws along the seams.
- For leaks around vents, chimneys, etc. re-caulk with a flexible metal roof sealant. Consider adding flashing pieces around the edges.
- Use roofing screws to secure any loose or curving metal panels that could be leaking when water pools on them.
- For severe leaks or damage, professional repair or full panel replacement may be required.