Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Arctic Box / Utilidor Damaged insulation
- Assess area and remove debris – Clear away any loose, damaged insulation pieces from the utilidor exterior.
- Prep surface – Use scrapers, brushes, or pressure washers to remove any remaining adhesive, staples, or fasteners from the utilidor walls.
- Measure space – Measure the total square footage needing new insulation. Account for any pipes, wires, or obstructions on the walls.
- Cut insulation – Use a utility knife to cut rigid foam board or batt insulation to fit the utilidor walls snugly. Get proper thickness and R-value.
- Install vapor barrier – Staple polyethylene sheeting or other vapor barrier material over insulation area.
- Attach insulation – Use construction adhesive and/or screws with washers to firmly adhere insulation over vapor barrier. Seal seams with tape.
- Weatherproof – Caulk around edges and seams using exterior caulking. Apply weather resistant barrier like house wrap over the top.
- Inspect and repair cladding – Replace any damaged metal siding or other exterior cladding.
- Check for drafts – Conduct an interior inspection to ensure no air leaks around utilidor entrance points. Weatherstrip as needed.