Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Exposed Electrical Wiring
- Inspect – Visually inspect wiring for damage. Look for nicks, exposed copper, burn marks, cracked insulation. Also check connections are tight.
- Replace damaged wiring – Any cables too damaged to repair should be completely replaced with new wiring of proper gauge and insulation.
- Splice repairs – Use weatherproof splice kits to reconnect severed wires. Follow kit instructions carefully for waterproof connections.
- Test circuits – Turn power back on and test lights and receptacles the wiring feeds. Verify proper operation.
- Insulate and seal – Use electrical tape and waterproof sealant on any splices or connections to protect from moisture.
- Check grounding – Ensure exposed exterior wiring maintains proper grounding to avoid shocks and surges.
- Preventative improvements – Consider running wiring through conduit to add an extra layer of mechanical and weather protection.