Welcome to our ‘How-To’ video series!
Outlets falling off wall (exterior)
- Turn off power to the outlet at the breaker box to ensure safe work conditions.
- Remove the outlet cover plate and unscrew the outlet from the junction box to inspect connections.
- Check for water damage or corrosion as a potential cause of the failure and falling. Replace affected parts.
- Verify the junction box is properly anchored into framing or shims and not just drywall. Refasten if loose.
- For loose wall outlets, remove drywall screws securing the box and drive longer screws directly into studs.
- Use washers and spacers to fill any gaps behind the outlet box before tightening screws.
- Consider replacing plastic boxes with more durable weatherproof metal boxes rated for outdoor use.
- Apply silicone caulk around the outlet perimeter before reinstalling the cover plate for water seal.
- Check the condition of the outlet wiring and ground connection. Replace damaged wire.
- Test outlet function before returning power. Contact an electrician if issues persist.